Resolve to be "READY" in 2017
With New Year’s Eve rapidly approaching, now is the perfect time to think of resolutions. While resolutions typically involve committing to personal changes and reaching goals, the single most important resolution that both business and homeowners can make for 2017 is to “Resolve to be Ready.”
Preparing in advance to deal with the unexpected can make a world of difference in how quickly and completely property owners can put the pieces of their lives back together. Emergency readiness plans are the foundation for effective and timely emergency response.
We would like to encourage all property owners, commercial or residential, to take advantage of the no-cost emergency planning tools available from FEMA, as well as SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Profile and READY Plan Mobile App.
- FEMA resources include guidelines for creating a Family Emergency Plan and Emergency Supply List, with additional tips for pet owners, seniors, people with disabilities, and even commuters.
- SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley offers their free SERVPRO READY Plan App, which stores critical contact and property information electronically in advance, where it can be accessed with a mobile device in seconds if disaster strikes.
For business owners:
- FEMA offers materials on topics ranging from creating a Business Continuity Plan to an Insurance Discussion Coverage Form in addition to guidelines for creating an Emergency Response Plan.
- SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley offers a no-cost facility assessment and assistance in creating a comprehensive Emergency READY Profile® (ERP). The ERP includes information about emergency contact numbers, priority and high/risk areas, shut-off valve locations and more that can be stored in the READY app.
The time to gather and store information like emergency contact numbers; insurance contacts; and location of shut-offs, fire suppression system controls, and such is before an emergency strikes, not during an emergency. Having this information at your fingertips can help emergency responders react as quickly and effectively as possible, helping to limit loss of property and even lives.
SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup repair services, helping to remediate damage, making it “Like it never even happened,” for both commercial and residential customers. For more information on SERVPRO of Teays Valley the SERVPRO mobile app and the SERVPRO Emergency READY Program, please contact your local SERVPRO Restoration Consultants (Tim McDaniel @ 304-542-9257 / t.mcdaniel@SERVPRO9835.com or contact Jon Miller @ 304-610-8031 / j.miller@SERVPRO9835.com ).
Holy Smoke! Charleston, WV
Cooking fires are on the rise during the holidays
The holidays are approaching and many families are finalizing plans for elaborate meals, get-togethers with friends, and decorating with festive lights. Amidst all this planning, SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley reminds homeowners that they may be overlooking the most important plan they can make—a fire safety plan.
Each year, statistics1 show the incidence of home cooking and candle fires peaks during the holiday season. This tends to focus homeowners on fire prevention precautions—and that’s a good thing, But to truly protect your family from the dangers of a home fire, at the holidays and throughout the year, you need to start with a fire safety plan. Developing a fire safety plan and practicing it regularly with your family is the most important step you can take to help prevent a house fire from turning into a devastating tragedy.
SERVPRO is a national leader and provider of fire and water cleanup and restoration services, and their disaster response professionals know from experience how devastating a home fire can be. They also know that when fire causes a loss of life, there is no “remediation” possible. This is why SERVPRO has teamed up with the American Red Cross by supporting the ARC Disaster Responder2 program, and in particular the Home Fire Preparedness Campaign3. As a Disaster Responder, SERVPRO pledges dollars and support in advance to help the ARC develop and distribute educational materials and respond immediately when they are needed.
We at SERVPRO encourage all Charleston area homeowners to follow these fire safety guidelines, developed by the ARC through their Home Fire Preparedness Campaign, to help minimize injury or loss of life due to a residential fire.
- Install the right number of smoke alarms4. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Teach children what smoke alarms sound like5 and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape6 from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire” to alert everyone they must get out.
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
- Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
Fire prevention and fire safety planning are two very different things. Fire prevention planning helps control or eliminate the causes of a fire. Fire safety planning helps prevent injury and loss of life when a fire does break out. To protect your family and your property, you need both.
For more fire prevention and fire safety tips and information about fire and water damage restoration services, please visit http://www.SERVPROnorthkanawhavalley.com/ .For more information on SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley please contact us at 304-755-9510, or email us at office@SERVPRO9835.com
More to us behind the scenes.
You may know us as the Fire and Water Cleanup and Restoration Company. But did you know that there are over 20 services that we can provide. The team at SERVPRO® of Teays Valley is ready to help you at a moment’s notice 24/7/365. A few of the other services that we provide include…
- Mold Mitigation
- Document Restoration
- Duct Cleaning
- Vandalism Cleanup
- Forensic Remediation
- Storm Response
Our team here at SERVPRO® of Teays Valley can help you with whatever disaster that you may have. We have been in the Kanawha Valley and surrounding areas for over 25 years, locally owned and operated, and ready to serve you.
Whether you are a homeowner, business owner, property manager, or first responder we are here for you. There is no disaster that is too large or too small that we can't handle. From our trained and uniformed crews to our professional restoration consultants, and our SERVPRO® Ready App that is in the palm of your hand, the cleanup team at SERVPRO® of Teays Valley is here to help make your disaster, “Like it never even happened." For more information on how we can help you be prepared or for a consultation please call us at 304-755-9510.
The importance of renters Insurance for our Charleston, WV customers.
If there is a disaster that occurs at rented home, or apartment your contents are usually not covered unless you have a rental Insurance policy
In a World of economic unrest, it is not unusual for people to try to find ways to cut the cost of their monthly budget. It is also common for human beings to believe that nothing bad will happen to them and that disasters only happen to other people.This is a dangerous train of thought because we know from countless examples that disasters happen unexpectedly and can happen to anyone.
SERVPRO sees the results of this kind of thinking way too many times when it comes to rental property.
Some renters have the idea that nothing bad is going to happen, their stuff is not worth insuring, and hey, if a catastrophe does happen to come about, the landlord will take care of it.
Those ideas couldn’t be farther from the truth.
We at SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley has been called by property managers all over the Charleston area to countless apartment fires, or water damages in rental properties only to have to tell the renter that their contents are not covered and they will either have to try to clean them themselves, or hire us to clean and restore them. When the renter realizes that a payment of as little as $15.00 a month for a renters insurance policy could have saved them thousands of dollars, it is not a pretty sight to see.
Please take a moment to check these common myths about renters insurance, so you can make an intelligent choice when it comes to protecting your valuables:
A Flood of Emotions During the WV Floods
SERVPRO was there before, during and after the Flooding to help our friends and neighbors.
A Flood of Emotions
The month of June 2016 was shaping up to be a typical summer month. The months of June and July are notorious for their lack of major weather related events in the Clendenin, WV area. We are always prepared for spring flooding, autumn tropical storm/Hurricane remnants, fall fires, and winter freezing that leads to frozen water pipes, but June and July are usually calm as far as the weather is concerned. When the severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides hit on June 22-29 our typical summer changed drastically.
SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley has seen our fair share of disasters over our 26 years of serving the citizens of Kanawha and Putnam County, but this particular disaster was different and hit us hard, not only physically, but also took a toll on us emotionally, and mentally as well. We are not sure if it was because an event of this magnitude had not been seen in our area for 100’s of years, or if it was because it hit in our own backyard this time and we had personal relationships with so many people involved? Most likely it was a combination of both. No matter the reason for its effect on us, it was a rough couple of months.
Here’s the thing; if you’re not from West Virginia you may not understand this, but we are some of the strongest people when it comes to overcoming obstacles and this disaster was NOT going to get us down. After taking a deep breath, we rolled up our sleeves and got busy putting folks lives back together. SERVPRO was able to produce jobs of all sizes ranging from a small crawlspace to a county school system during this disaster, all while never missing an assignment from our regular customers. Here is just one example of the larger projects we are capable of doing. https://www.facebook.com/SERVPROofWV9835/photos/pcb.1105836399484149/1105829466151509/?type=3&theater
SERVPRO would not have been as successful in our endeavors during flood relief if it had not been for the wonderful agencies and volunteers that helped feed, clothe, and shelter all those people that had lost everything to the storm. These kind acts allowed the folks to concentrate on getting their homes and businesses restored without worrying about life’s essentials.
The flood recovery is not finished by any sense of the imagination. There are still folks that need assistance, and will need help for a while. Please be sure to give to a local charity that you can trust to distribute items and services to the proper people.
Here are some of our favorites:
If you find yourself in need of assistance you can call one of the agencies listed above, or check out this website for information on Governor Tomblin’s initiative “Rise West Virginia” at:
WE ARE: WV STRONG!
Home Grown in Charleston, WV
Home Grown Goodness
Gardening season is here and soon everyone will start enjoying the fruits of their labors. Growing your own fruit, vegetables, or herbs can bring about many positive effects in one’s life.
1. You get to pick the items you know, like, have grown before, and know does well in your local area.
2. You know where the products come from and have a better understanding of their benefits.
3. Home grown produce is healthier than imported products.
4. Save you money because you don't have to pay the price of imported products.
5. You usually share with friends and neighbors, so they can enjoy your bounty as well.
If you think about it, your local SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley is a lot like home-grown produce:
1. If you have an insurance claim you can pick someone you know, like, have used before, and that you can take confidence in knowing does well in your local community.
2. You know where your local independently owned and operated SERVPRO comes from. They live, work, worship, and play in the North Kanawha Valley area, so you know they understand the people of West Virginia better than any out of state restoration vendor.
3. The health benefits of using your local SERVPRO is the peace of mind that it gives you knowing you've picked a company with over 25 years of continual service to our area.
4. We save you money because we are right here in your town and don't have to inflate our prices to cover the cost of running an office several states away like a lot of other restoration companies do. This also allows us to be "Faster to Any Size Disaster".
5. And lastly, when you see the many benefits you’re locally owned and operated SERVPRO can bring to you, you will want to share with your friends and family as well.
You may not know this, but one of our SERVPRO mottos is "Green Means Clean", so the next time you look at the wonderful produce from your garden you can think of this "corny" little analogy and know that it's not a "Tough Row to Hoe" when choosing a restoration company in your time of need............. Go with your local "Home Grown" SERVPRO
Once The Smoke Clears
Recent before and after photo of fire damage restoration to a local Charleston area home.
Once the fire is put out and the smoke clears, what is on your list of things to do to restore your home to its original state? Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. SERVPRO® of North Kanawha Valley has been restoring homes and businesses in the Charleston area for over 26 years. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care. With the many years of experience, and our certified crews on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all you need to know is SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley will help make the damage “Like it never even happened.”
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today at (304) 343-6170.
Employee Longevity in Charleston,WV
In today's society it is very difficult to find employees who are dedicated to their employer. According to Quentin Fottrell in an article for MarketWatch.com:
"U.S. workers had an average job tenure of 4.6 years in 2012, the last year for which figures are available—that’s up from 3.7 years in 2002 and 3.5 in 1983, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The trend holds up within almost every age and gender category"4.6 years?! That's an alarming statistic and one that would make employers cringe.It seems sometimes that just as you get an employee trained, or they get proficient in their job, they are ready to move on.SERVPRO of North Kanawha Valley, as usual, is above average.We have employees with longer than average tenures ranging from 7 years to 17 years and even one with 25 years! http://www.SERVPROnorthkanawhavalley.com/crew-photos
Leon Duff just celebrated his 25th years with SERVPRO of NKV. Leon was with us from the beginning and helped us grow into the Premier Cleaning and Restoration company in Putnam county area.Leon currently is our warehouse manager, but has held many different positions with our team such as Crew Chief and Rug Cleaning Specialist. Thank you Leon for your service and helping us remain above average.As we venture into our next 25 years of service we can only hope that the longevity of years of service remain lengthy. We trust that our "Family" atmosphere and history of treating our employees with respect will keep us to keep trending on the high side of employee retention.If you are interested in a career with SERVPRO please contact us at office@SERVPRO9835.com and enquire about current openings.
Does Your Home Or Business Have A Mold Problem?
Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (304)755-9510
SERVPRO of N. Kanawha Valley/ Teays Valley - Area's Emergency Restoration Professionals
SERVPRO_catastrophic storm response_pic
SERVPRO of N. Kanawha Valley/ Teays Valley is locally owned and operated with over 25 years of experience in the Charleston, WV, Hurricane, WV, and surrounding areas. We are available 24 hours 365 days to serve the community. We have the ability to handle any emergency disaster no matter the size, promptly and professionally to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Your local SERVPRO handles fire, smoke, soot damage restoration services, board up services, water damage mitigation services, catastrophic storm response, carpet cleaning services, deodorization services, rug cleaning services, carpet and upholstery stain protection services, air duct/ HVAC cleaning services, cleaning services, mold removal/mitigation services, general contractor services, post construction clean up, vandalism, biohazard and crime scene clean up, and disaster repair services.